St. Elizabeth Heritage Sites

Welcome to the JNHT St. Elizabeth Heritage Sites..

  • Pedro Bank - found within the coordinates:Longitude 78° 20' 00" West and 77° 20' 00" West and Latitude 16° 45' 00" North and 17° 10' 00" North
  • Lacovia Tombstones - erected in memory of Thomas J Spencer and another who died in 1738
  • St. Elizabeth Parish Church - The original building was built around 1700
  • Black River Court House - a fine appearance from the sea and at once attracts the attention of visitors.
  • Black River - The exact date of its establishment is not known but John Sellers' 1685 map of Jamaica identified its existence.
  • Hampton School - has its origins in the Munro and Dickenson Trust.
  • Lovers' Leap Lighthouse - stands at approximately 1600 feet above sea level and is powered by three different power sources
  • Black River Spa - one of the more popular spas in the island up until the 1930s.
  • Bamboo Avenue - approximately 2 1/2 miles long with the tall bamboo forming a canopy over it.
  • Golmont View House - destroyed by fire in 2004.
  • Lovers' Leap - consists of a cliff with a drop of approximately 1,600 feet.
  • Independence Park - host horticultural and stage shows
  • Appleton Railway Station - constructed around 1894, a two storey Jamaica/Georgian timber structure.
  • Balaclava Railway Station - erected around 1892, a Jamaica/Georgian two storey building
  • Accompong - The town was founded in 1739 when land was given to the Maroons as part of a Peace Treaty with the British.
  • Munro College- site of the final pitched battle between British and Spanish forces to determine
  • Invercauld - Located on Black River’s seaside High Street as a fine example of late Jamaican Georgian architecture.
  • Carmel Moravial Cemetery - The earliest Moravian Mission began its work in Jamaica in 1754.



Ever since the capture of Jamaica by the English from the Spanish in 1655, the need for fortification became immediate because of the...



The Morant Bay Courthouse, which was destroyed by fire on Monday, February 19, 2007, is an important part of St. Thomas's history.



Built in 1885 of masonry and timber, the Simms building exhibits a combination of Gothic and Georgian features; the projecting...